- Sweet are the hours in one’s native land,
- Where all is dear the sunbeams bless;
- Life-giving breezes sweep the strand,
- And death is soften’ d by love’s caress.
- Warm kisses play on her mother’s lips,
- On her fond, tender breast awakening;
- When round her neck the soft arm slips
- And bright eyes smile, all love partaking.
- Sweet is death for one’s native land,
- Where all is dear the sun beams bless;
- Dead is the breeze that sweeps the strand,
- Without a mother, home, or love’s caress.
Translated to English from original Spanish by Charles E. Derbyshire.
- Philippine Literature, From ancient times to the present
- Authors: Teofilo del Castillo y Tuazon; Buenaventura S. Medina, Jr.
- Publisher: Del Castillo and Sons, Quezon City