The Nationalist Thoughts of Jose P. Laurel as lifted from the Jose P. Laurel Memorial Foundation Library and Museum.
The Country Above All
- The foundation of good leadership is morality, and the basis of morality is righteousness… righteousness means devotion to truth and justice; it is fortitude and benevolence; it is courage in action.
- What we need as a people is a renovation of our sense of values, a re-awakening of our moral sensibilities, a turning back to the old but simple Christian principle of caring for the welfare of others…
- The crying need of the hour for economic well-being and security–bread with freedom,liberty with security–will then be met, as it must, but always through the means and exertions anchored on respect for the worth and uniqueness of the individual in an organized society.
- In the midst of confusion… the Filipino youth are called upon to take a vigilant and militant attitude towards public questions confronting the country and contribute in their own way to the formation of a vigorous and courageous public opinion.
- In the Philippines… we have abundant resources, gifted to us by a generous Providence, we have idle manpower by the millions, we have a population… which our land and resources can comfortably sustain. The challenge to this generation, therefore, is to put our available manpower to work on the resources of the country to produce abundance enough for all, but also in the fullest atmosphere of freedom. The most that we can do… is to be able to launch and assist in the best way we can our young champions of integrity and patriotism, of genuine love for the common people… As they strive ceaselessly in unselfish dedication and with the good of the greatest number steady in their mind’s vision, I am confident that they will succeed.